A new report intimates The Last of Us Part 2 was allegedly leaked by hackers who’d infiltrated Naughty Dog’s private servers.
In a brief summary on Twitter, Bloomberg’s Jason Schreier reported that after talking to people “with direct knowledge” of the incident, a security vulnerability opened a back door into ND’s servers and intimated that the spoilerific footage likely originates from “an early build”.
OK: After talking to two people with direct knowledge of how TLOU2 leaked as well as some Naughty Dog employees, I have a good idea of what happened. Short version: hackers found a security vulnerability in a patch for an older ND game and used it to get access to ND?s servers.
— Jason Schreier (@jasonschreier) May 3, 2020
“OK: After talking to two people with direct knowledge of how TLOU2 leaked as well as some Naughty Dog employees, I have a good idea of what happened,” Schreier tweeted earlier today. “Short version: hackers found a security vulnerability in a patch for an older ND game and used it to get access to ND’s servers.
“I think the footage that leaked is from devs playing an early build (I haven’t watched it). Most importantly, rumors of this being an act of protest by a contractor whose pay was robbed are not true. (ND actually extended pay and healthcare benefits for contractors due to covid).”
Massive spoilers for The Last of Us 2 circulated online earlier this week in what Tom described as “a devastating leak” for developer Naughty Dog.
Video footage showing cutscenes and gameplay – including several pivotal scenes – is available to view online. Though the original videos have been pulled from YouTube and Reddit by Sony, citing copyright concerns, other versions are still being linked elsewhere.
While initially it was thought a disgruntled Naughty Dog employee was behind the leaks, Sony recently confirmed that none of the individuals identified as responsible are affiliated with Sony Interactive Entertainment or Naughty Dog. Its investigation is said to be ongoing.
Just after the leaks swept across social media, Sony told Eurogamer: “We’re disappointed that anyone would release unauthorised pre-launch footage of The Last of Us Part 2, disrupt years of Naughty Dog’s hard work and ruin the experience for fans worldwide.”
“We want everyone to have the opportunity to play The Last of Us Part 2 at the same time,” it continued, “and ask that viewing or sharing of the unauthorised footage be avoided.”
Naughty Dog also released its own statement via Twitter, writing, “We know the last few days have been incredibly difficult for you. We feel the same. It’s disappointing to see the release and sharing of pre-release footage from development. Do your best to avoid spoilers and we ask that you don’t spoil it for others.
“The Last of Us Part 2 will be in your hands soon,” the developer concluded, “No matter what you see and hear, the final experience will be worth it.”
Sony earlier confirmed a revised release date of 19th June for The Last of Us Part 2 on PlayStation 4, following its delay “until further notice” last month.